While reading about Blog Action Day 2008 Poverty I was viewing some of their resources I found a website that I really can relate to – The Girl Effect. There are some very interesting statistics on this website. A couple of the stats are:
· That an extra year in primary school raises the girl’s lifetime wages by 10% – 20%.
· An extra year of secondary school raises a girl’s lifetime wages by 15% – 25%
Why I can relate to The Girl Effect is because the charities that I tend to support locally are organizations that work to better a woman’s and her children’s life. Whether that is by finding safe shelter or assisting with a job search the need is so much larger than many people would imagine, I mean right here in my own backyard.
The other reason I can relate to the Girl Effect stats is that I along with two other women (thanks Wanda & Lisa) are currently sponsoring a young woman from Isla Mujeres who is attending university in Merida. Alejandra’s goal is to become a kindergarten teacher because “everyone has to start school”.
Why no one person can eliminate poverty on thier own we each can contribute in our own way. Do your part today to help. It can something as simple as:
- Visit a local homeless shelter.
- Talk to your children about poverty.
- Don’t go shopping; give the money you would have spent to charity.
- Talk to a local government leader about poverty where you live.
- Start a new blog or website about poverty.
On Sunday when I wrote this post there were registered to participate: 7,730 Sites with an audience in excess of 9,339,871 Readers