Previously I have written blog posts about how crappy the weather can be in Portland. I may have even ranted about it. When it rains non-stop for a week or two it can get really old. Gray skies, damp and windy days are very common most of the late fall to late spring.
This is about the weather here in Portland but it’s not a complaint. Today it was 68 degrees, blue sky; sunshine and I drove with my sunroof open. The leaves in Oregon change later than a lot of other areas of the country. Some trees have completely changed colors while others are just beginning to. It was just a beautiful fall day!
Overall I really should not complain about the Portland weather.
- We have very little snow. Usually it only snows every couple of years or so. However, when it does snow it tends to be layered, snow, ice, snow, ice.
- We don’t have hurricanes or tornados.
- Summer forest fires are frequent but they are in the rural areas of the state especially southern, central and eastern Oregon.
- We have an occasional minor earthquake but haven’t had one that caused any damage since 1993.
- In parts of the state, even in the city sometimes there are creeks and rivers that flood due to a really long spell of rain or a fast snow melt.
So here’s what I saw today. The beautiful blue sky and the wonderful colors of the changing leaves.
I read a few years ago that Portland has more restaurants per capita than any other large city west of the Rockies. That means more than LA, San Francisco and Seattle. There is a lot of ethnic diversity represented in the restaurants in Portland. Portland has large Asian and Mexican populations so those types of restaurants are very common. Besides ethnic restaurants there are a lot of fish and seafood restaurants due to the proximity of the Pacific ocean.
I started thinking the other day about the food options where I live, Milwaukie which is a suburb of Portland. Within two miles of my house there are four Mexican, three Chinese, three Thai restaurants and one Hawaiian. Of course there are the standards fast food places as well. If I want to go out to eat I usually think ethnic and I have lots of choices.
For my birthday dinner the other night we went to Pambiche. This is an authentic Cuban restaurant located about 7 miles from where I live. It was great.
Michelada, Cuban red beer